Forming a Professional Nursing Corporation in CA

Nursing is one of the most important occupations and the workplace environment is changing rapidly. According to data from the California Board of Registered Nursing, there are more than 487,000 active registered nurses (RNs) in the state. If you are considering starting a nursing company in California, it is crucial that your business has the right legal structure. A nursing corporation is a specialized type of business entity designed for firms offering services within the nursing profession. Here, our Fremont business formation lawyer highlights the key things to know about professional nursing corporations in California.

Know the Law: Professional Nursing Corporations in California

In California, a professional corporation (PC) is a specialized type of legal entity through which certain licensed professionals can conduct their business operations. Under California law (Cal. Corporation Code § 13401(b)), PCs are required to register with the state agency that is responsible for regulating the specific profession in question. A professional nursing corporation is required to register with the Board of Registered Nursing. Notably, not just anyone can form a professional nursing corporation in California. There are strict ownership requirements. At least 51 percent of the corporation must be owned by registered nurses in California. The remaining 49 percent can be owned by other specific licensed professionals in the health care field.

What are the Benefits of Forming a Nursing Corporation? 

A PC is generally the most efficient and effective way to operate a nursing business in California. Some key advantages of operating a nursing services business as a professional nursing corporation include:
  • Tax savings—a professional corporation can reduce a nurse’s self-employment taxes
  • Liability protection—PCs are designed to provide additional legal liability protection 

Important Considerations When Forming a Professional Nursing Corporation

Are you a registered nurse who is considering forming a business in California? It is imperative that your business is set up properly. Mistakes could cause you serious problems. Here are some of the most important considerations when setting up a professional nursing corporation in California.
  • Name: You need to select a name for your professional nursing practice. California law requires you to include the term “nursing” or “registered nursing” in the official name.
  • Tax implications: Taxes matter. In California, a professional nursing corporation can be taxed as a standard corporation (C Corporation), or it can be taxed as a pass-through business entity (S Corporation).
  • Ownership structure: The ownership structure of your professional nursing corporation must be set up properly. Make sure you have the right documents in place. You must file articles of incorporation with the state. You can also benefit from a comprehensive bylaws. There are several other documents needed to be a professional nursing corporation.
Forming a new business is complicated—especially when you are in a highly regulated industry such as health care. You do not have to have to navigate the business formation process alone. An experienced California business formation lawyer for nurses can help.

Call Our California Business Formation Attorney Today

Lynnette Ariathurai is a business formation lawyer with the skills, knowledge, and legal expertise to help you form a professional nursing corporation in CA. If you have any questions about your rights, responsibilities, or options, please do not hesitate to contact us for a confidential consultation. From our offices in Fremont, near Newark, we serve clients in Hayward, East Bay, Milpitas, Union City, San Leandro, Gilroy, San Jose, Santa Clara, and throughout the entire Bay Area.

© 2021 THE LAW OFFICE OF LYNNETTE ARIATHURAI            SITEMAP               DISCLAIMER

39300 Civic Center Dr #110, Fremont, CA 94538

Serving Businesses and Start Ups in the Greater Bay Area including Fremont, Hayward, Union City, Castro Valley, Milpitas, and Newark, CA.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship.